Tuesday, November 13, 2012

MP + CP Soap Challenge



I finally got around to making these soaps that I wanted to try for Amy's (Great Cakes Soapworks) Soap Challenge. You can see her challenge post here: Combining melt and pour and cold process soaps. I’ve been wanting to try a couple of new techniques for a while now, so this challenge gave me the opportunity to try both! 

These were my results:
First I made the mini cupcakes, which stand only about 1.5 inches tall. The mold that I used was actually a candy cup mold (for making peanut butter cups). I melted and poured some green soap that was fragranced with Pear into the candy mold until it was half full, and then let that set up. Then I poured melted honey soap that was fragranced with Clementine Cupcake over the green layer, filling the candy cups to the top.

While those were setting up, I made a small batch of cold process soap and colored a portion of it with yellow oxide and gold mica. I had never piped soap before, but I’ve been wanting to try it for a while. I used a large Ziploc bag as an icing bag; I cut the tip off one bottom corner of the bag, just big enough to insert the icing tip through. Then I tied off the bag with a twist tie, just above the tip, so that when I put the soap into the bag it wouldn’t spill out of the tip until I was ready to take the twist tie off to pipe. I put the tip side of the Ziploc bag down into a large cup and folded the extra bag over the top of the large cup, this helped hold the bag open to make it easier for me to fill.

I experimented with 2 different tips and played around with different designs. While the soap was still wet, I inserted a small piece of green ribbon.

With the remainder of the soap, I had some fun and did some soap sculpting, which is also something I’ve been meaning to try for a while. This little snowman and his scarf are formed out of cold process soap, and the nose and arms are MP soap. And yes, you should probably remove his pointy little arms before the first use ;)


Thank you Amy for the fun challenge, it was the motivation I needed to give these new things a try! 

 post signature

21 comments:

  1. Hey Cee, cupcakes look adorable, with those ribbons make such a lovely holiday gift!
    And the snowman! Oh gosh,looks so real,so showy and look at that scarf...how did you make it so real and corrugated?
    Great time you were having while making these,Cee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh,new winter layout spotted!

      Delete
    2. Yep, it's officially winter here :D I made the fringe on the snowman's scarf by dragging a fork gently across the soap :)

      Delete
  2. These are so cute, Cee Gee! I love the mini soap cupcakes, and the snowman looks amazing! You always put so much love and effort into your projects and it shows. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenny, I did have a lot of fun with this one! :D

      Delete
  3. The little snowman, I want him! :D He is too cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks Marika! I wish I could send him to you, but my daughter already claimed him...lol!

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous, Cee!I love your snowman!So cute!!!
    Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Natalia, I really appreciate it! =)

      Delete
  5. How fun!! Thank you so much for participating in the challenge! I love how it all turned out - very creative!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU for hosting the challenge, it was a lot of fun!! I really enjoyed seeing what everyone else came up with too!

      Delete
  6. This is really outstanding, to the smallest detail! You really did a good job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your nice compliments Gordana! :)

      Delete
  7. I love your ideas, very cute and gorgeous, x Linda

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutly fantastic, great idea. I love them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That snowman is incredible and you make it sound so easy when I know it's not. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Linda, Angela and Teresa...I really appreciate your nice comments! =)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a super cute use of M&P and CP, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Anne-Marie, and congrats on the exciting Bramble Bump news! ;)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
10